End of the line for Tanjong Pagar
The Tanjong Pagar Railway Station, located along Keppel Road, was constructed in 1932 and, until 1st July 2011, was the terminus for the West Coast line of the KTM (Keretapi Tanah Melayu) railway line, owned and operated by KTM, Malaysia’s main railway company.
Following an agreement between Malaysia and Singapore which was reached on 24 May 2010, railway operations into the station ceased on 1 July 2011, on which date the land was returned to Singapore.
The station has been gazetted by the National Heritage Board as a national monument, and will be conserved in any redevelopment of the area around the station.
No decision has yet been made about the use of the so-called Rail Corridor, the strip of land running through Singapore through which the railway ran.
The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) has invited the public to submit suggestions and there is growing public support for the strip to be designated a Green Corridor, to preserve the land as a conservation area for the island’s rare birds and animals.
Go to the URA’s dedicated Rail Corridor site, and share your ideas.
In the meantime, enjoy this short film by Cheng Chan, which captures the station beautifully.
Read Clarissa Tan’s memories of the station, and follow her journey on the railway’s last ride, here.
A beautiful photo-sound essay on the railway can be found at the TODAY website, the work of photojournalist Wee Teck Hian, who spent 5 weeks photographing the KTM train.
Read Ng Yi-Sheng’s essay on the ever-changing landscape of Singapore, here.
Check out more 90-second films exploring the emotional resonances of places such as the National Stadium, Potong Pasir and Tiong Bahru at the WHERE THE HEART IS vimeo channel.